Sunday, May 24, 2009

Guangzhou, China Day 1 - Tuesday

I mentioned about the insanity surrounding swine flu. It is blown to epic proportions and China did not skimp on the precautions. After taking a train from Hong Kong to Guangzhou, China we were waiting to enter the country officially at the train station when I snapped this photo. There were about 500 people waiting in lines to get in because they were screening for swine flu with scanners and such. I was told that you are not allowed to take photos of government officials or anything that is even related to a government facility. I thought that the train station would be ok, but the man you see in the photo with the surgical mask came over to me directly and told me to put my camera. I guess I was lucky because they often take cameras for such actions. Welcome to China!
Bill took us on a tour of South China Normal University after we arrived at our hotel (which is also located on campus). The campus was beautiful and unique of course. The students were very kind and polite to us and this proved to be true with nearly everyone I came across in and outside of the campus. The first thing I did notice in China was the thickness in the air. Hong Kong was very humid but nothing like Guangzhou. This was hands down, the most humid and muggy air I have ever experienced. I think one could chew the air if they really wanted to.
This is Luann Hoover and Bronwyn Fees (faculty in my department at K-State) in front of the Education building. Two days later, the 3 of us each presented and an enormous education conference for kindergarten teachers and directors.
A statue of one of the most revered teachers here: Confuscious and two of his top pupils.
One of the older dorms on campus. Nearly all students and faculty live on campus which is a bit different than my school back in the heartland. Another interesting tidbit is the clothes that are hanging out at every building in the city where people reside. I was told because it is so humid, people will get home from a long day and hand wash their clothes in the sink then hang them out to dry immediately. If they were to let their clothes pile up then they would begin to grow mildew quickly.
This was a large area of equipment that looked a bit like a child's playground. Bill told us that it was actually adult workout equipment so he decided to demonstrate to us how it is used. We saw places like this all over Guangzhou.
I am not sure what kind of school this was but it is on SCNU campus. They were well behaved and excited to practice their English on us.
Another great sign in China. I will let you draw your own conclusions on what it is supposed to mean.
We were treated to several high class, fancy dinners in Guangzhou. This was the first of many. This happens to be with the President of SCNU who is sitting next to Bronwyn. His first question for us was, "What do you think about our philosophy to push mathematics to our youngsters?" We thought we were in for a long dinner with intense questions but it turned out to be comfortable and interesting. The table you see has a lazy susan in the middle of it with all of the food. Nearly every single meal we ate was this format: large round table, lazy susan, variety of foods, warm-wet handtowel instead of napkin, chopsticks, and hot tea. The President made a couple of toasts with the wine you see on the table. Needless to say I can't remember the rest of the night.

No comments: