
It is Carter's new love. Her name is Word Girl, she's from the planet Lexicon, she has super-powers, and she "looks just the way I want her to" at least that is what Carter told me when I asked him why he liked her so much. Word Girl is actually a show on PBS. It is on at 4:30, just about the time when I am as my weakest, so Carter and Molly have become regular Word Girl watchers. Almost every half hour today Carter has been asking me "Is Word Girl on yet?" He, like any other child enjoys watching the TV, but today's interest was far beyond normal levels. Finally the hour had come and it was time to watch Word Girl save the city from Two Brains, and Tobey. The Molly & Carter sat entranced and I was able to get Naomi fed and a head start on dinner. When the final credits rolled and the TV was turned off I noticed something different in Carter's eyes. Then he started asking questions and I knew what that something different was. It was love, not the love of television. It was love for her, love for Word girl. I did, like any mother of a love-sick son should do, started asking some questions so I could see how deep this love was. First, "Why do you like Word girl?" "Because she looks just the way I want her to." The words say "like" but the tone, the light in his eyes, and the silly little smile all said LOVE. Then my next question: "What would you do if you saw her?" "I would just follow her around wherever she goes" (in a dreamy, twitterpated voice). The conversation went on. I tried to start to explain that she so 2 dimensional and that nothing could ever happen between the two of them (because she is not real) but I just couldn't break his sweet little heart. But tears soon followed when I told him that I don't know where Word Girl lives and if we went to try to find her we might get lost. So in the end I just broke his heart anyway, and I am sure I will get to do it again tomorrow.
2 comments:
She is lovely, I can see how Carter would be so affected. Good luck keeping him together and try not to break his heart too much! This was a great laugh!:)
Oh my gosh I remeber the day Brady learned of word girl. We just happen to have the tv on at that time and I thought i'd check it out. Little did I know her powers can work through the tv and grab little boys attention for 30 mins. at a time. Its a double edge sword, I think its a silly show but, I want to take it to sacrament with headphones so Brady will sit for the meeting. Do you think it would be frowned upon?
Post a Comment